- Criticize philosophy as pretentious, boring or a waste of time.
- Downplay the significance or benefits of the hobby to undermine its appeal.
- Worry it will take time away from shared activities together as a subtle manipulation.
- Act distracted, dismissive or disinterested when the partner tries discussing what they've read.
- Make snide jokes implying the hobby is just a phase or that they're trying too hard.
- Find indirect ways to discourage the partner from fully exploring and enjoying the new interest.
- Complain it creates more distance between them if the partner pursues solo intellectual growth.
- Make sniping remarks that philosophy is meaningless compared to real-world pursuits.
- Frame it as another sign the relationship isn't stimulating/fulfilling them adequately.
The goal is subtly interfering with independence/self-discovery in the partner to retain a sense of superiority and control in the dynamics.